Anyone who’s had cancer, or known someone to have cancer, know most the physical effects of radiation and chemotherapy treatment. Hair and weight loss are common. So is nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and many others.
But cancer treatments can also affect oral health and wellness. Tooth decay, and oral lesions are seen most often in cancer patients, causing immense damage emotionally and physically.
This article tackles how radiation and chemotherapy can cause oral health issues, provides preventative measures, and the Brighter Image Lab instant smile solution.
Cancer and Oral Health
Negative Effects of Radiation and Chemotherapy
- Oral Lesions: Sores in the mouth are a common side effect of cancer treatment, especially if radiation is targeting cancers in the head and neck. This can cause a burning sensation in the tongue or mouth.
- Nausea and Vomiting: Bile and digestive fluids in the stomach are highly acidic. This leads to the destruction of tooth enamel, which can speed up teeth staining, cavities, and tooth decay.
- Loss or Change in Taste: Cancer treatment, especially when treating cancer of the head or neck, can change a person’s taste. In rare cases, it’s lost altogether.
- Saliva Production: Chemo and radiation cancer treatments often cause dry mouth by slowing saliva production, or damaging saliva glands. Saliva plays an important role in washing away harmful bacteria and toxins in the mouth.
- Periodontal Disease: As the mouth dries out, the gums can begin to recede. This leaves a pocket for food and other debris to collect in the gum socket. Bacteria and toxins eat away at tooth enamel closer to the tooth root, making tooth loss and tooth decay common in people with advanced periodontal disease.
- Tooth Decay: A buildup of plaque and tartar can create cavities, and a dry mouth can prevent harmful bacteria from eating at tooth enamel.
Preventative Measures for Better Oral Health
There are many ways to help prevent the devastating oral effects that cancer treatment can have, and it all starts with having good dental hygiene routine. Brushing and flossing regularly is the most recommended way to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
Seeing your dentist before starting treatment to take care of any issues in oral health can also help. Have your dentist and medical doctor work in tandem to create a plan to monitor oral health.
Avoiding alcohol, foods with extreme flavoring, and decreasing sugar intake are important for preventing tooth decay. Alcohol is highly acidic, and foods that are spicy or salty can irritate the mouth.
Sugar causes bacteria to release enamel dissolving toxins, and having a lower intake prevents cavities from forming.
Getting a good source of calcium and vitamin D promote bone health, and can strengthen your teeth against decay.
Brighter Image Solution
Preventative methods are good at fighting tooth decay, or serious gum disease, but doesn’t help once the teeth are broken, discolored, or missing. Brighter Image Lab has created an instant smile solution meant to cover embarrassing smiles.
Smiling has ties to our mental and physical health. It stimulates the production of endorphins like dopamine and serotonin, which can help lower blood pressure and alleviate some symptoms of depression.
Our smiles can also affect our social lives. A bad smile can lead to job discrimination, and potential romantic partners avoid people with broken or missing teeth.
Using advanced 3D technology and a Lab Direct system, Brighter Image Lab has created custom fitting veneers that fit over your existing teeth, instantly giving you a better smile.
Cancer patients already know how difficult it can be to present their best selves while undergoing treatment, and side effects of chemo and radiation can have lasting complications. Our no-dentist solution offers people a better smile that won’t break the bank.
Treatment for cancer is already expensive, and the high cost of cosmetic dental work can be impossible to obtain for people still trying to pay hospital bills.
At Brighter Image Lab, we can give you a better smile for under $1,000.
If you’re tired of dealing with you broken smile, Brighter Image Lab could be the solution for you.
Cancer treatment can have serious consequences on oral health. Tooth decay, gum disease, and mouth sores are common. Leaving cancer patients with a broken smile, and unable to afford cosmetic dental work.
Brighter Image Lab created our dental veneers to help provide a less expensive smile solution, so you can worry less about your smile.
Our real client reviews speak for themselves, and with new financing options you can break up the cost into weekly installments.