You have most likely heard about fluoride at some point in your life… and how dentists claim that it “strengthens” your teeth and “minimizes cavities”. What is fluorosis?
How much do you really know about fluoride?
Is it safe?
How much fluoride is too much?
Well, the scary truth is that any amount of fluoride has the power to harm you. Here’s why:
FLUORIDE IS COMPLETELY TOXIC.
Let’s first take a look at what fluoride is and then the horrible dangers it poses to your health and wellness.
What is Fluoride?
Fluoride is a mineral in your teeth and bones and is found naturally in water, soil, plants, rocks, and air. It is also synthetically produced and added to drinking water, toothpaste, mouthwash, and other chemical products.
When it comes to your health, fluoride is primarily used to “improve” dental care because it is thought to strengthen the enamel of the teeth.
However, the scary truth is that much of the water supply in the USA is still fluoridated. Plus you get additional exposure from dental products, meaning you are constantly subjected to FLUOROSIS!
What is fluorosis?
You can find fluoride both naturally and artificially in water. By the time we account for concentrated, fluoridated dental products and materials, it’s not hard for the average person to unintentionally (or intentionally!) consume too much fluoride:
Fluoride consumed at elevated levels is know to have seriously detrimental effects on the human body.
It’s important to note that off-the-shelf oral hygiene products suggested by dentist offices typically contribute to the excessive ingestion of fluoride:
- In a large data collection effort regarding fluoride poisoning, the American Association of Poison Control (AAPC). determined that toothpaste ingestion was the main source of fluoride toxicity. Other likely culprits are mouthwashes and supplements.
- Over 80% of the cases of fluoride toxicity reported, were in children under the age of 6. They found children of this age group ingest more toothpaste than ‘recommended’ because their swallowing reflex hasn’t completely developed.
So what is fluorosis? When you consume too much fluoride, it harms your overall health and can cause a variety of problems, such as:
- Dental Fluorosis: A dental term that describes the developmental disturbance in regards to the enamel. It is not a disease, but rather a cosmetic condition. Consuming fluoride is especially concerning during the years when the teeth are developing, typically up to age 8.
- Skeletal Fluorosis: a bone disease caused by an excessive accumulation of fluoride in your bones that causes painful damage to your bones and joints
These conditions are highly alarming and you should take every precaution possible to keep you and your family safe.
Where should you start? Look no further than your drinking water…
Fluorosis From Water: Are You Drinking Too Much Fluoride?
There is a plethora of information and research that shows the dangerous side effects of using fluoride. On the other hand, there are very few studies that show any significant benefits from drinking water containing fluoride.
Water fluoridation is an extremely controversial topic. Some view it as a public health measure, while others consider it an example of mass, systemic poisoning.
That extreme view isn’t unfounded, considering fluoridated water accounts for 40% of all dental fluorosis cases. We consume these (sometimes) dangerous levels of fluoride via drinking water, children’s formula, or foods prepared with public drinking water
This is a simple case of “You better be safe than sorry” and keep you and your family safe by avoiding fluoride. Follow these simple safety tips:
- Drinking filtered and purified water
- Using a homemade or all natural fluoride free toothpaste
- Making a fluoride free mouthwash
What is fluorosis takeaway? Always remember when it comes to fluoride toxicity is:
Regulating the amount of fluoride you consume is crucial to your overall health.
Better yet, your safest bet is to avoid fluoride altogether.
Do you or someone you know have fluorosis? Are you concerned that Fluoride in water is staining your teeth? Would you like a solution that doesn’t require a dentist visit and saves you 70%*?